Monday, June 16, 2008

"Work"



Awesome video above.

I work at a movie theater. Never really had a job before, I've been self employed for the last 8 years, doing magic shows at kids parties and teaching magic classes. So when I first started the job, I wondered, would I have the self discipline necessary to stay motivated, arrive on time, take orders from other people?

My job description includes things like working at concession, checking theaters for rowdy customers, and cleaning up the theaters after everybody has left.

Thing is... I don't really get it. I mean, what would I be doing... sitting at home? Going online? Watching a Movie?

To me, none of these things are inherently more fun than cleaning out dirty popcorn from under seats. I love it. Not only that, but I get to chill out with people my own age and be social while I do it... sweet deal.

Today I worked with a dude, and every time we found a mess that had to be cleaned up in theater he'd say something about how come they couldn't just make it easy for us. What easy for us? Cleaning the messes was as fun for me as working at concession was... I was completely empowered by my inner man... just enjoying my existence.

Then we had to take out the trash. There was a thunder storm outside. Which was nice cause I was all hot from doing the cleaning and the rain was really refreshing. The guy I was working with complained out getting wet.

It's my job, so I might as well enjoy it.

I keep wondering if maybe I'll eventually start to think like that. Do I need more hours? less sleep? Do I need to be doing the job for longer? Maybe if I did a job that was solitary, or stationary? What would it take to stop making my existence fun?

Would be an interesting experiment...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who's Following?